Parent sessions (preferably before the birth of the child) and an interview with a priest or deacon are necessary. We share the joy of expectant parents and look forward to welcoming them for baptismal preparation.
Steps for baptism at St. Paul’s:
- Parents who wish their child to be baptized should be registered members of St. Paul the Apostle parish.
- Parents should contact Father Joseph Mack at 294.4696 to begin their preparation and to schedule the celebration of this beautiful sacrament with their child.
- Baptism Class is recommended for all parents having a child Baptized for the first time. The class schedule is listed below.
- Letters of Eligibility for Godparents are due before a baptism may be scheduled. (See below for requirements.)
- Must be at least 16 years old and Confirmed.
- May have one but two are preferred.
- If two, then one of each sex is required.
- One must be a practicing, Confirmed Catholic with certification from their current parish (if not from St. Paul’s).
- If the other Godparent is a Christian Witness (not Catholic), then they must be a baptized Christian practicing their faith in a faith community.
- All Godparents must be certified by the parish/church which they attend.
- Honorary Godparents (additional godparents beyond 2) are allowed, however only 2 godparents will be listed in the Sacramental Register and on the Baptism Certificate.
- A proxy may be used for a godparent who cannot be present, but the Godparent still must submit their certification.
- Parents may not serve as godparents however, sisters, brothers, or grandparents may as long as they meet the above requirements.
For information about the pre-Baptism class contact: Melissa Joseph at 545-9465 or firstname.lastname@example.org or call the parish office to register for the class or to contact a priest or deacon for an interview at 294-4696.